Friday, June 25, 2010

Ugandan priest faces sack from UK church over “political remarks”

A Catholic priest, who is accused of denying Ugandan politicians a platform to air President Yoweri Museveni’s message at a London Church, now faces dismissal by the UK Auxiliary Bishop of Westminster, the Rt. Rev. Alan Stephen Hopes.

A source from Westminster Diocese informed this reporter that Fr Gerald Balinnya has been told by Bishop Hopes that he (Balinya) has been in the UK for far too long and it is time for him to return to his country.

Information gathered reveals that Fr Balinya’s problems started three months ago when he is alleged to have told a gathering of Ugandans at Elephant and Castle in South East London on March 27 that Ugandans should fight the current regime in Kampala.

Balinnya denies the accusation.

He is alleged to have said this after the burning of Buganda’s royal burial tombs at Kasubi in Kampala in March.

Reliable sources told us that on March 28 this year, two Ugandan politicians were denied audience at Holloway Church in East London where Fr Balinnya is the Holloway Uganda Martyrs Catholic Chaplain.

It is thought that this prompted the politicians to write to the Bishop of Westminster urging him to take action against the cleric.

According to one of the letters, suspected to have been drafted by individuals close to the NRM, Fr Balinnya incited Ugandans to take up arms and fight the Kampala government.

In another letter obtained by this reporter from Westminster Diocese, the petitioners accuse Fr Balinnya of being discriminatory.

They said: “Father Balinya and his ‘Waganda’ (the Swahili word for citizens of Buganda) people in London discriminated and practiced prejudices against us as Catholics and people from Northern Uganda.”

The letter further said: “Many Ugandans in Britain know very well that Fr Balinnya disguises himself as chaplain of Uganda Martyrs Community and yet allegedly works as a spy of the Ugandan government and mobilises Ugandans in Britain to support Ugandan dictatorship in Kampala. Nobody will accept him as chaplain, join or associate with his selfish community or with any other group he wants to dictate over and spy on.”

When contacted for a comment Fr Balinnya said: “I have not received the letters you’re talking about.”

When asked if he was aware of the scheduled meeting with Westminster officials, Fr Balinnya said: “Yes, I have an appointment with a person you’re mentioning. Maybe you have advanced knowledge than I.”

He did not disclose the subject of the meeting.

“If there is anything to do with my comments about Kasubi Tombs, I was just talking about what was already public knowledge. If it is true as you’re informing me for the first time, may be some people didn’t understand my message. I only encouraged people to wake up and pray to God to save our nation.”

“Maybe some people wanted to promote their own political programmes by misinterpreting my comments,” he said.

Fr Balinnya said he mentioned about the Kabaka shedding tears in public as an act which was caused by evils. He said he encouraging people to use their brains and hearts to fight the evils.

“This is not in any way similar to what you’re now saying. If you’re referring to my speech at the conference, it was written a day before as usual. I write down all my speeches for the masses. I have a copy of what I said.” He said and expressed fears for his life. “I'm now worried, my life could be in danger. If individuals can plan to maliciously damage me, they can as well plan to finish my life,” he said.

Uganda’s representative to the Palace of St James, Joan Rwabyomere denied any knowledge about the letter to Bishop Hopes.

“The letter to Westminster? Who are the signatories? Uganda’s authority in London is the High Commission. If it is not signed by me, then it is not Ugandan authority. I have no idea about the letter you are talking about and I have no comment,” she said.

The NRM Chairman-UK Chapter, Patrick Asiimwe, said: “I don’t think anybody in their right mind would come up with such things from the official lines as far as I know. The person who wrote it, if at all [they are] there, [could be] an independent person trying to cause confusion, just like the one who burnt Kasubi Tombs,” Asiimwe said.

When asked whether the church was investigating the source of the letters, Bishop Hopes’ secretary, Ellen told the reporter to send him emails with the questions he wished to ask him.

When the questions were sent Ellen called to say: “The Bishop has asked me to ring back and let you know that he is unable to make any comment at this time.”

SIC: TIUK