Wednesday, July 20, 2011

John brings life experience to ministry

A NEWLY ordained priest is hoping his life experience as a husband, father and grandfather will give him a greater understanding of his parishioners.

Limerick widower John O’Byrne was ordained at St John’s Cathedral in Limerick last Sunday by the Most Rev Dr Dermot Clifford, Archbishop of Cashel and Emly and the Apostolic Administrator of Cloyne Diocese.

Family and friends surrounded the 67-year-old for the ordination, the first in the Limerick diocese since June 2009.

After his ordination Fr O’Byrne, who was married for 35 years, remembered his wife, Martha, who died in April 2004 following a short illness.

His children John and Mary said readings while his granddaughters Kate, Rachel and Amy also took part in the ceremony.

Speaking about his late vocation Fr O’Byrne, who lives in Janesboro in Limerick city, believes he brings a great deal of life experience to the priesthood.

He said his family and his late wife’s family were extremely supportive of his decision and he has received "nothing but support" from parishioners and the people of the diocese he meets when he travels to Lourdes as a volunteer on the annual Limerick pilgrimage.

It was on one such trip after his wife’s death that he decided to pursue his calling. His ordination followed four years of study at The Pontifical Beda College in Rome, a seminary for mature vocations.

"I think I have a lot to offer, at least I hope I have," Fr O’Byrne said. "And my married life experience has to stand to me. My working life experience, having a family, having experienced the difficulties that people encounter with mortgages, rearing children, married life itself ... I would hope I would have a compassionate understanding for people, that would be my hope."

Fr O’Byrne worked for Irish Cement for 43 years, where he was an active trade unionist and finished up as safety officer.

He admits it’s a difficult time for the Catholic Church and said he was deeply saddened by the Cloyne report.

"I don’t think there is s any sane-minded person who could condone that. Having said that the Church has to move on and trust in almighty God. The Church has come through some severe crisis in every age. And I’m sure with the help of God they’ll come through this," he said.