Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Lent calendar prayer and reflection for 1 March - Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday. 

As we begin our Lenten journey, we pray for the humility to walk back into the open arms of God.

Jesus teaches us to give, pray, and fast in secret, and in this way to give glory to God. 

Let us think about these three good deeds a little more deeply today.

Give How can I give joyfully, and not reluctantly or out of self-righteousness? Can I look into the eyes of my sister or brother living in poverty, seeking to understand their hopes and struggles, and give generously to bring healing?

Pray How can I create space to pray to the Lord? Can I close the door on the world, away from the hustle and bustle, to rekindle my relationship with God? Can I make time every day to do this, trusting that God’s grace will bring light to my life and to those around me?

Fast How can I give up some of the things I normally indulge in to create more space for God? Can I give up chocolate or wine, complaining or arguing; and instead try to grow in love, peace, and kindness for my neighbours near and far?       

Lent prayer

Loving God, we pray that we may grow closer to your son, our Lord Jesus, and share our love with our sisters and brothers who are most vulnerable. Amen.

Act

How can you give, pray or fast today to give glory to God?